Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I bet you cant guess my asian enthinicty


So you like sushi?
You like chinese food?
hey when is the lao festival?
Do you listen to kpop
Was your mom or dad white?

Do you notice something about this!

These were questions that was asked to me growing up. People trying to guess my ethnicity like its a game show asking me the dumbest questions.

When I say I'm full Filipino, its like a southwest airline commercial; there reaction to my answer is PRICELESS.

Well if I really think hard about my ethnicity I cant blame them if they don't think I'm full Filipino because if you really look at Filipinos they are really brown compared to me, I'm really light and bright haha.

funny part is they have the nerves to ask me; are you sure? or NO WAY!

Like I don't know my own race and they know more. LOL

But it humors me time to time because they really gave up like 5 minutes of their life trying to get to know me  even if their questions were really dumb. Instead of asking 20 questions, it would save more time if you just ask me one straight forward question.  But I give them an A for effort. 

I guess maybe what they think is; it be awkward to ask a straight forward question like that because in their mind they do not want to give them that intention that you are a creeper or a stalker.






         

1 comment:

  1. I've been in very similar situations so I feel you! What sometimes bothers me when someone is having the "what are you" conversation with me is I feel they are putting culture/ethnicity/race in some type of mold. I think, "okay, what stereotypes or ideas did you already have in your head about what a Filipina is or looks like?" I also don't like the idea of "Typical Filipino"...we all come in different shapes, sizes, shades, mixes, and from different experiences.

    ReplyDelete